A packed audience at Hulme Hall, Port Sunlight on Thursday 10 October were treated to a wonderful evening of presentations highlighting Wirral’s best sporting achievers and unsung heroes who dedicate their time and service to their clubs and associations.
The prestigious Wirral Sports Awards evening, celebrating it’s 55th year, was opened by the Mayor, Councillor Tony Smith, himself a passionate sports fan and was hosted by BBC Radio Merseyside’s Ian Kennedy.
Tranmere player Connor Jennings attended to receive the Wirral Sports Person Award 2019. Women’s England player Jodie Taylor and her former school Oldershaw picked up the Outstanding Achievement Award. Sadly Jodie was away on international duty but kindly sent a video acceptance.
Other awards presented on the night included:-
- Young Sports Person: Niamh McCarten & Beth Hodgson – Birkenhead Gym Academy
- Club of the Year: Wirral & Chester Taekwondo
- Young Sports Volunteer: Cora Johnson – Prenton High School
- Coach of the Year: Hiucong Liu – China Spirit UK
- Volunteer of the Year: Matthew Green – Wirral Country Park Run
- Sports PE Dept of the Year : St Anselms
- Secondary School Girls Team of the Year: Wirral Grammar Girls, Under 14 Netball
- Secondary Boys School Team of the Year: Pensby High School, Year 7 Rugby
- Lifetime Achievement: Anthony Shillinglaw – Birkenhead Park Cricket Club
Special Recognition Awards were also passed out to:
- Jane Parry - Wirral & Chester Taekwando
- John Williams - Heswall Squash Club
- Lian Pickthall - Wirral Gymnastics Club
- John Heap & Anne Rosbottam - Wirral Athletics Club
- Sue Marcks – Wirral Badminton League
This years event was headline sponsored by Park Group plc and as an added surprise all the young athletes at the ceremony were presented with a voucher from another sponsor Liverpool One.
Proceeds from the event go towards the annual Bursary award scheme that will take place in April 2020 hosted by the Mayor of Wirral.
Further information is available from Dave Simmonds at Wirral Council’s Sports Development Team on 0151 666 4165 or 07876 577187 or email: [email protected]